Friday, January 19, 2007

Friend Or Foe

At the political rally yesterday
He said my neighbours
would steal from me
and not let me prosper
He said these my Kenyans
would stab me in the back
My neighbour looked at me
And I at him,
As we burst into laughter

You see,
my neighbours
have sat with me
through nights long and lonely
Encouraged me
when hope gave way to grief
Held my hand
when the rising
sun turned cold as night
and a new day
brought no relief

They fed my children
when money was scarce
Through thick and thin
we’ve lived as one
our feeble lives held together
by sturdy bonds unknown
where buildings touch the sky

We’ve held each other
as tongues of fire
gobbled up our shanties.
We’ve re-built the structures as they fell;
All for one and one for all

We’ve cried and prayed
together, for each other,
when hungry nights seemed
like all we’d ever remember

It tickles me to hear
this highly paid politician,
say that these people,
these people who watch
my back every day
are not my friends
because their tribe
is different from mine.


Lioness (c) 17 Jan 07

No comments: